Each year, Waukee High School aims to tell our story of academic achievement. While the information below is not a comprehensive report on academic achievement at WHS, it is a snapshot of what takes place in the classrooms of WHS.
Our students are to be commended for their academic accomplishments! A culture of excellence has been established at WHS and as each graduating class filters through WHS it is fulfilling to see young people place their mark in the history of Waukee High School.
Waukee High School is home to a dedicated, motivated, and skilled teaching staff. That, coupled with the love and support of families across our district, is the perfect recipe for a robust K-12 learning experience.
Cary Justmann, WHS Principal
Graduation Rate (2018)
- 97.97% 4-year Graduation Rate
- 99.45% 5-year Graduation Rate
National Merit Award Winners
(23) National Merit Finalists since 2010
Advanced Placement (AP
In 2018 WHS was home to (6) National AP Scholars – this distinction is granted to students in the United States who receive an average score of at least (4) on all AP Exams taken and scores of (4) or higher on eight or more of these exams.
- 65.3% of WHS students who took AP exams in 2018 scored a (3) or higher on the exam.
- 313 WHS students took 548 AP exams, over 23 different subjects, in 2018.
- Since 2012, Waukee High School has seen an increase from 161 AP students to 313 AP students in 2018.
- Since 2012, Waukee High School has seen an increase from 295 AP exams taken to 548 exams in 2018.
- Historical Data: AP Scholars (students who score 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams):
- 2018 – 77 scholars, 3.91 Exam Average
- 2017 – 92 scholars, 4.07 Exam Average
- 2016 – 81 scholars, 3.87 Exam Average
- 2015 – 74 scholars, 3.85 Exam Average
- 2014 – 73 scholars, 3.91 Exam Average
- 2013 – 53 scholars, 3.98 Exam Average
- 2012 – 41 scholars, 3.90 Exam Average
- 2011 – 19 scholars, 4.13 Exam Average
- In 2009-10 WHS students took AP exams in (8) areas. In 2015-16 WHS students took AP exams in (20) subjects.
ACT Information (Class of 2019 Information)
ACT Composite Average: 23.0, State Composite Average: 21.6
Fine Arts Program
- Jazz Band has placed in the top 3 at Jazz Championships every year since 2008
- Marching Band undefeated in competitions vs. Iowa Bands for the last 5 years.
- 8 students from WHS Vocal Program have been selected for the National Honor Choir since 2016.
- 28 out of the possible 28 selected from WHS Vocal Program for 2017 All-State.
- 21 selected from the WHS Band Program for 2017 All-State.
Class 4A Bank Iowa Traveling Challenge Cup Winner
The Bank Iowa Challenge Cup is an award designed to recognize Iowa high schools for academic excellence in the classroom and outstanding achievement during state competition in athletics and fine arts.
Waukee High School has received the award the following school years:
Waukee High School & DMACC
There are no tuition costs for students or families enrolled in concurrent courses with DMACC. For the 2018-19 school year, WHS students earned 10,176 credit hours through the concurrent enrollment program with DMACC. The credits earned by students represent a savings of $1,495,872 for our families!
|School Year||Total DMACC Credits Earned|